All photography provided by Jessica Ofelia Alvarenga
PASS BODY CAMERA ORDINANCE
Now that we have support of Mayor Parker and many on Houston City Council on the municipal side and Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia on the county side, we must work to craft the policy around body mounted camera use by our law enforcement officers.
With regard to the cameras, we want to make sure of the following:
- The camera to be bought for use by HPD/HCSO has a fail safe data retention tool that eliminates the possibility of footage being erased/edited.
- Footage automatically uploads via wifi upon return to base.
With regard to the policy, we want to make sure of the following:
- The incidents where police must turn on the body cameras must be clearly defined in the policy and have progressive consequences for failure to adhere.
- Footage must be held for a defined amount of time in case complaints are made weeks after an incident.
- Footage must be available to Citizen's Review Board members.